Vocabulary practice #1
1. different / special / example / generous
2. selfish / egoistic / moody / friendly
3. speak / talk / communicate / send
4. dishonest / sympathetic / hard-working / generous
Vocabulary practice #2
Match the words and their definitions. (Соедините слова и их определения)
A. to stop doing smth
B. annoyed or unhappy
3. to feel frustrated
C. is willing to give money, spend time etc, in order to help people or give them pleasure
4. to give up
D. a special machine used by people who cannot walk
E. a crash involving cars, trains, planes
F. feeling annoyed, upset, and impatient, because you cannot control or change a situation, or achieve something
Vocabulary practice #3
What is it? (Чтоэтотакое?)
1. a person who likes sport. ______________________
2. a person for whom it is difficult to talk to new people. ______________________
3. a person who doesn’t like working. _______________________
4. a person who works a lot. ______________________
5. a person who always tells the truth. _______________________
6. a person who likes speaking to new people. ______________________
7. a person who thinks only about himself / herself. ______________________
Vocabulary practice #4
Choose the best synonyms. (Выберитеправильныйсиноним)
1. You know, she always tells the truth in any situations. (dishonest / honest / sociable)
2. He is very egoistic: he thinks only about himself and never about other people. (lazy / moody / selfish)
3. When are you going to eat a snack? (listen / have / go)
4. Can they see that these things are not the same?! (lazy / special / different)
Vocabulary practice #5
Fill in the gaps with the words from the box. Onewordisextra. (Заполните пропуски словами из таблицы. Однословолишнее).
1. If she has a problem, the first person she will ____________to is her best friend Zena.
2. Why do you _____________ him so much? He is not special at all!
3. Firstly people are sure that he is _____________ to them because he doesn’t speak much, but in really he is very shy.
4. Because of a car ______________ they couldn’t move.
5. How often do they go to the _____________? – I’m not sure, but may be 3 times a week.
Present Simple / Present Continuous
1. Water ______________ (boil) at 100 degrees Celsius.
2. I must go now. It _____________ (get) late.
3. The Moon ____________ (go) around the Earth.
4. Look! That man _____________ (try) to open the door of your car.
5. The water ____________ (boil). Can you turn if off?
6. He usually ___________ (go) to work by car.”\
7. “Hurry up! It’s time to leave.” – “OK, I ___________ (come).
8. Can you hear those people? What _______________ (they / talk) about?
9. Let’s go out. It ________ (not / rain) now.
10. Julia is very good at languages. She ___________ (speak) four languages very well.
11. The river Nile ____________ (fly) into the Mediterranean.
12. “________________ (you / listen) to the radio?” – “No, you can turn it off.”
13. Can you drive? – No, I ____________ (learn).
14. Hurry up! Everybody _________ (wait) for you.
15. “__________________ (she / watch) TV every day?” – “No, just from time to time.”
16. Ron is in London at the moment. He ____________ (stay) at the Park Hotel. He always (17) _____________ (stay) there when he’s in London.
18. Normally I _____________ (finish) work at 5.00, but this week I (19) _____________ (work) until 6.00.
20. “What _________________________ (your dad / do)?” – “He’s an architect, but he (21) ___________________ (not / work) at the moment.
22. The train is never late. It always _______________ (leave) on time.
22 – 20 = “5”
19 – 16 = “4”
15 – 11 = “3”
10 – 0 = “2”
NATIONAL COSTUME: THE KIMONO
The first kimonos appeared in the 5th century.
The kimono looks like a T-form dress. It can be of different length. You should use a special belt because there are no buttons on it.
The kimono is made of one piece of cloth. If you want to make a kimono for a woman, you should take minimum 10 metres of cloth. A traditional kimono is a handmade work. The traditional fabric is silk. But today Japanese people usually use sateen and сotton for making kimonos because they are cheaper than silk.
There are a lot of different kinds of kimonos. It can be official and for every day use. It can be only for winter and for summer. If you see a woman in a very bright kimono with very long sleeves, you can say that this woman is unmarried.
Today it is very unusual to see a person who is wearing a kimono. Japanese old people usually wear it. As for young Japanese, they only wear a kimono on special occasions, for example a wedding.
By the way, a traditional kimono is very expensive. It can cost about 300 hundred rubles. Together with all accessories it can cost more than 600 hundred rubles.
The kimono is a traditional cloth which tells us about Japanese ideas about beauty and style.
NATIONAL COSTUMES: THE FEMALE GERMAN DRESS
A German national costume is one of the most interesting and popular in the world because of its colours and comfort.
The traditional German costume appeared in the 16th century.
The German female costume consisted of a blouse with wide sleeves, a jacket, a skirt of middle length and an apron. Besides, women could wear some accessories, for example, bright ribbons and jewellery. Aprons could be of different colours.
A traditional German costume for women was grey or white. Women could wear blue or green only on special occasions or on Sundays. Only rich women could wear purple or red dresses.
Every woman must wear something on her head; usually it was a shawl or a hat. Only young girls could wear nothing on their heads.
The usual fabric for a German costume was wool and linen.
Today it is very prestigious to wear a national costume, especially in Bavaria where people wear it every day.
The traditional German costume is very expensive. It can cost about 800 Euros with accessories.
A national costume is something unique. It is a part of a nation’s culture and history.
Revision of the vocabulary
1. a person who understands other people’s problems and help them, ___________________________
2. a person who works a lot. ____________________________
3. a person who tells the truth. ___________________________
4. a person who thinks only about himself / herself. ____________________________
5. a person who is always nervous with new people and doesn’t know what to say. __________________
6. a person who likes speaking with different people. ________________________
7. a person who likes doing sports. _______________________
8. a person who make other people laugh by telling jokes, anecdotes etc _____________________
9. a person who is always pessimistic. _____________________
10. to listen __________ music
12. to play ____________ basketball
13. to go __________ the Internet
14. a famous person ___________________
15. a place in the theatre where actors play. _____________________
16. a piece of cloth that closes and opens actors. ___________________________
17. people in the theatre who watch shows. _________________________
18. to perform (noun) _________________________
19. to practice playing many times before showing it to the people. _________________________
20. to fail exams (ant) _____________________
21. a play where there are a lot of songs ______________________
22. to like (ant) ____________________
23. jewellery that you wear in your ears. _____________________
24. jewellery that you wear around your neck. ________________________
25. clothes that both women and men wear especially hen it is cold. _________________________
26. clothes that men wear for special occasions. ___________________________
27. clothes that you wear when you do sport. _________________________
28. shoes or boots which you put on when you do sport. ____________________________
29. something that you put on around your body. _________________________
Блок степени сравнения:
Complete the sentence with a necessary form of the adjective.
1. You speak English without mistakes. It’s getting ________________ (good)
2. Who’s the __________________ (popular) singer in your country?
3. The cartoons with Tom and Jerry are the ________________ (funny) for me.
4. Who is the ________________ (good) student in your class?
5. I’m three years ______________ (old) than Mary.
6. The end of the year is the __________________ (busy) time in my life.
7. I’d like to have a _______________ (big) car than my old one.
8. Among all the exams this one is the __________________ (difficult)
9. The _________________ (great) national holiday in our country is Victory Day.
10. Which month is the _________________ (short) in the year?
11. This winter is _________________ (warm) than usual.